My husband isn’t much of a breakfast eater, well actually he goes through spells. This morning I made a bowl of the Strawberry Cinnamon Raisin Buckwheat Crisps Cereal (wow tat is a mouthful, in more ways than one) and snuggled up on the couch as I peacefully ate my cereal, pondering on what the day would hold for me. I asked Bob if he wanted to try a bite. At first I got the typical, “no thanks” response but soon he asked for a taste. He said that he really liked it, which surprised me because I really haven’t ever known for him to be a granola person. Did he want a bowl? “No thanks.” A few minutes later he was up and wandering around the kitchen. “Where can I find that stuff?!” It was still in the dehydrator so I got up prepared a bowl full for him. I always love it when Bob enjoys the raw recipes I make. It makes me feel good that I am satisfying his taste buds, filling his belly and helping him to eat a healthy diet. It really is a blessing for me.
Just so you are aware, buckwheat groats are gluten-free. The name often trips people up. Make sure that you buy the tanish colored kind, those are the raw ones. The brown ones are toasted and are referred to as kasha.
- 2 cups buckwheat groats, soaked for at least 1 hour (yields 3 1/2 cups)**
- 1 1/2 cup raw gluten-free oats, soaked
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 2/3 cup sweetener; maple syrup (not raw), agave, yacon – your choice**
- 1 cup raisins
- 3 Tbsp organic raw strawberry powder (from Nuts-on-Line)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- **You always want to soak the buckwheat groats to get rid of the extra starchiness. After soaking, place them in a colander with small holes and rinse until the water is clear.
- **Another option as a sweetener replacement is to use stevia. Use 2 tsp. instead of the above sweeteners.
- Mix all ingredients together a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Spread out on non-stick teflex sheets that came with your dehydrator about 1/8″ thick.
- Dehydrate at 105 degrees for 8-12 hours. Flip over and remove the teflex sheet and continue drying them on the mesh sheet until crispy.
- Break into small pieces and store in a glass airtight container.
- Serve with your favorite nut milk.