Mexican Flax Crackers
Add to favorites
Need a little spice in life… look no further. These crackers are great to snack on all by themselves or they make a wonderful vehicle for transporting fresh guacamole from the bowl to your lips!
- 1 1/2 cup flax seeds
- 1 cup fresh salsa – of your choice
- 2 jalapenos, chopped and seeded
- 1/2 cup ground flax-seed (this amount can very, it’s great for thickening the “batter”)
- salt and pepper
- Soak flax seeds for 4 hrs up to 24 hrs in 3 cups of water. The flax seeds should soak up the water, leaving a thick gelatenous mixture.
- Mix ingredients together in a bowl and let sit for about 30 mins. This helps to thicken the batter.
- Pour the batter onto the dehydrator sheets, spread and dehydrate for about 10 hrs at 105 degrees.
- These have a wonderful flavor! Serve with guacamole…YUMMY
*****Facts on Flax*****
Flax Seed Storage
- Whole flax-seed should be stored in a cool, dark, dry place. Many people choose to store it in the refrigerator or freezer to be on the safe side. Flax meal should be stored in the freezer and used up within a few weeks.
Tips for Using Flax Seed
- Drink plenty of water. There is so much soluble fiber in flax that it is important to drink plenty of water
- when eating flax products, otherwise constipation may result.
- Remember to start slowly if you aren’t used to a high fiber diet.
- If you purchase the whole seeds, you need to grind them up to get the benefit.
- Flax is often used as an egg substitute in baked goods for people who can’t or choose not to eat eggs.
- This is because of the soluble fiber, which adds structure to the food.
- About 2/3 to 3/4 cup of flax-seed yields 1 cup of flax meal. With my grinder, it’s 3/4 cup, and my recipes
- reflect this.
Flax Seed is High in Fiber
- You’d be hard-pressed to find a food higher in fiber — both soluble and insoluble — than flax. This fiber is probably mainly responsible for the cholesterol-lowering effects of flax. Fiber in the diet also helps stabilize blood sugar, and, of course, promotes proper functioning of the intestines.
Recommended Daily Usage
- To get the maximum benefits from Omega-3 golden flax seeds add 3 tbsp of ground flax-seed to your daily diet. Add them to you cereals, smoothies, soups….anything! They really don’t have much of a flavor to them at all.
Photo by: www.starchfreerecipes.com