Spicy Flax Crackers (raw, GF, vegan)
Add to favorites
Flax crackers are a staple in our household. I always try to keep a large jar on the counter for my sweetheart. I bet I hear that lid come off a good 10-15 times a day. No complaints for me. I love the fact that he enjoys them and they are full of good nutrients for him.
- 2 cups flax seeds, soaked in 2 cups water
- 2 cups carrots, rough chopped
- 2 cups red pepper
- 1 cup white onion, rough chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 oz sun-dried tomatoes
- Soak flax seeds for approx. 4 hours or over night. Be sure to use a large enough bowl to allow room for the seeds to expand. The flax will create a gel, do not wash or attempt to wash this off. This the normal process.
- While you seeds are soaking, take your food process and rough chop the; carrots, peppers, onion, cilantro, garlic cloves, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon juice and seasonings. You will can either leave this slightly chunky or blend until nice and smooth. It depends on how you like your crackers.
- Spread 2 cups worth of mixture on the non-stick Teflex sheets that come with your dehydrator. Spread the mixture with an off-set spatula or rubber spatula till it is about 1/4″ thick. Square of the edges.
- Dehydrate at 105 degrees for approx. 4 hours, if dry enough flip the crackers over onto the mesh screen and peel the Teflex sheet off, lightly salt the crackers and score into the size and shape desired.
- Continue to dehydrator for another 4 hours or until crispy.
- Break into cracker size pieces and store in a glass airtight container. These will keep for up to a month, providing you have taken all the moisture of our them. If you like you crackers a tad chewier, you will need to eat them a bit faster so bacteria doesn’t grow in them.