Chocolate Cake with Strawberry Apricot Jam (raw, vegan, GF)
Add to favorites
I have posted this recipe before but I made a slight tweak to it today, so I decided to post it as a new posting so you don’t miss out on a new idea. The possibilities are rather endless as to what you can do to this recipe. I added a layer of a strawberry/apricot jam in the center. I made this for our 4th of July family picnic and it was a winner! But be warned, it is very rich so a little bit goes a long way.
- 3 cups raw walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 16 pitted medjool dates
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder or raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp filtered water
- 1/3 cup Chocolate Ganache (below)
- Unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- Fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup dark agave syrup or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp plus a pinch salt
Strawberry Apricot Jam:
- 1 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
- Place the walnuts and salt in a food processor fitted with the S blade
- Process until finely ground.
- Add the dates and process until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Add the cocoa powder and vanilla extract and process until the powder is incorporated.
- Add the water and process briefly.
- Line a 6-inch cake pan with a parchment-paper round (you can use any shape of pan, see below)
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly.
- Press down with your hand to compact.
- Place the sweetener, cacao powder, coconut oil and salt in a blender and process until smooth.
- Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula.
- Blend in food processor combine the apricots and strawberries until well-mixed. Set aside.
- You can use any shape pan as you wish. This time I used a pan that made tiny little cakes.
- Place 1/3rd of the batter in the pan.
- Place approximately 1 Tbsp of “jam” and spread to cover the chocolate cake layer.
- Add the remaining chocolate cake “batter” to the top.
- Chill for approx. 1 hour, I made this ahead of time so it chilled overnight.
- I popped the little square cakes out and poured the frosting over the top, allowing it to drizzle down the sides at its own will. :)
- I garnished it with a fanned strawberry. YUMMMMY!
Base cake recipe brought to you by Jennifer Cornbleet and tweaked by Amie Sue :)