Cheesy Balsamic Dressing
Add to favorites
My goal for this dressing was to make a creamy low-fat recipe. It’s hard to find the words “creamy” and “low-fat” in the same sentence. The zucchini adds body without much taste, the avocado adds a healthy fat but most of all a creaminess, the Irish Moss thickens the dressing, the nutritional yeast gives it a cheesy flavor and the balsamic gives it a kick. Personally, I really like the flavor of this dressing. So mission accomplished!
Yields 3 cups
- 2.5 cups zucchini, peeled and roughly chopped (approx. 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (depends on your liking)
- 1/4 cup Irish moss paste
- 3 oz avocado, ripe (1/2)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch cayenne
- Mix all ingredients together in the blender until nice and creamy. Don’t over process.
- Store in a glass container in your fridge for 3-5 days.
Nutritional Value for 3 cups: (very low calories and very low fat if you break it down to Tbsp servings!)
- Calories: 303
- Fat: 9.2
- Fiber: 16.4
- Carbs: 46
- Protein: 22
Health Benefits of Irish Moss:
- Has a soothing effect on the mucous membranes throughout the body. It has a softening effect on the tissues and helps many respiratory problems including bronchitis and pneumonia.
- Soothes the mucous membranes of the digestive tract and also has a mild laxative effect.
- Contains antioxidants to help fight free radicals
- Has a large array of ionic minerals. Iodine being one mineral that supports your thyroid and many problems associated with poor thyroid function including fatigue, inability to tolerate cold, slow heart rate, low metabolism, poor skin and hair, etc.
- Used externally, it softens and soothes the skin. Put it on your wrinkles and any dark circles under your eyes! It also eases sunburn, chapped skin, eczema, psoriasis, and other rashes.