Merry Peppermint Bars and Balls
Add to favorites
OMGosh! This recipe was from last Christmas but I never sent it out! lol I decided to go ahead and release it as is.
Well merry fiddle “peppermint” sticks. I am a little late in getting this recipe out to you. It was a last-minute recipe that was whipped up the night before Christmas. We are a week into January already and my husband is STILL enjoying these! I had a container of them stashed in the fridge on the lower shelf. Oops! I realize that candy canes are not raw but they did make for some festive looking treats. I used organic and natural candy canes of course. :) You can omit them alltogether and just enjoy the brownie portion.
- 2 cups packed Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked
- 4 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
- 10 mini candy canes, crushed (used for topping)
- 5 mini candy canes, rough chopped (to be added into the batter)
- Place the nuts in the food processor and break them down to a mealy texture.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until you have a smooth mixture.
- Crush the candy canes, either in a Bullet mixer or a Zip-lock baggie and go to town on it with a hammer. Place the crushed candy canes into a shallow bowl.
- If you are making the ball version… roll the ball mixture into desired sized balls (I used 1/2 Tbsp worth of batter) and then roll the balls in the crushed candy cane mixture to coat them. Press whole candy cane into the end as seen in the picture.
- If you are making bars… press the batter into a 8×8 cake pan, pressing firmly and evenly. Spread the ganache frosting (see recipe below) over the brownie batter and then sprinkle extra rough chopped candy canes on top and lightly press them into the brownies. Chill, cut and serve! Cut into 2″ squares. Makes 16 – 2 x 2 inch brownies
Recipe for Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup raw cacao
- 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Blend all ingredients together in the blender. Stopping the blender every so often to scrape down the sides.
- Pour over top of brownies , spread evenly and chill until set.