Edible Brains – Halloween
Edible Brains, yum yum, doesn’t that just get the mouth watering?! These are very fun to serve at Halloween. You can use either whole walnuts or pecans for the “brains”, they both look a little… brainy. :) On the serving tray I made small paper tents with funny little names on them: Intell E Gent, Albert Mindstein, Sir Thinks-A-Lot, Smart T. Pants, Dr. Ivana Brane, Dr. Anita Neujob, Dr. Ima Klutz, Dr. Guy N Cologist, Al Gore and Dr. I.M. Wright. Do you have any other creative names?
Ingredients: yields 46 / 1 Tbsp sized cookies
- 1 cup dried apricot, finely chopped
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup raw pistachio
- ½ cup raw almonds (soaked and dehydrated)
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 Tbsp water
- Dried fruits: I tend to rehydrate my dried fruits in enough water to cover them. This helps with the blending process.
- In the food processor combine the cashews, pistachios, almonds, and hemp seeds in a food processor and process until the nuts and seeds are finely ground.
- Drain the dried fruits from soaking water, squeezing excess water of them. Add the apricots, dates, vanilla, shredded coconut and a pinch of sea salt to the food processor and pulse till all the ingredients are blended together. If your mixture is to crumbly you can add a Tbsp of water as needed. You want to the dough to stick together so you can create the shape of your cookie.
- Place cookie on the mesh sheets that come with your dehydrator. Dry at 105 degrees for approximately 12 hours or until dryness level is reached. You want them to remain moist on the inside but a little stiff on the outside.
- Store in an airtight container. Keep in the fridge or freezer to extend the shelf life.