Oh my, these Cheesy Kale Chips are just amazing. The nutritional yeast plays a very import role in creating a very cheesy flavor. I highly recommend the Bed Star brand. I have tried many others and don’t get the same result in flavor. In the recipe it states to put in red pepper flakes, this is optional if you don’t like much heat. You can also use any type of kale for this recipe. Trust me, these won’t last long in your kitchen!
- 1 head curly leaf kale (de-stemmed and tore in bits)
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for 2 hrs)
- 1 large red bell pepper
- Juice of one large lemon
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Chop the red pepper into chunks and add to a blender with the lemon juice. Blend until the pepper is broke done nicely.
- Add the cashews, red chili pepper flakes and salt and again blend until smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast and blend again. Doing it in stages like this helps you to get the smooth consistency you need without over-heating it.
- Put the kale in a large bowl then pour the blended mixture over it and massage it in until all the leaves are coated.
- Place it on dehydrator trays on mesh sheets and dehydrate at 110 degrees for about 8 hrs. If they aren’t crispy enough, leave them in a bit longer.
- Soaking your cashews will help them blend smooth and creamy.
- Use the kale when it’s as fresh as possible, kale gets much more bitter as it gets older.
- When tearing the kale into pieces, don’t tear the kale up too small. They will shrink as they dry.