Apple Cabbage Slaw
Add to favorites
Apple Cabbage Slaw has such a fun balance of sweet and sour. Did you know that cabbage is a wonderful vegetable that helps with cell detoxification? It has also known to help with headaches and gastrointestinal concerns. If one is looking for ingredients for a low-calorie diet, cabbage is at the top of the list. One cup of cabbage only holds about 15 calories. Cabbage is a source of Vitamin A which your body needs for healthy skin and eyes. Due to its relatively high amount of Vitamin C, cabbage also helps boost the Immune System, as well as assisting in removing toxics from the body, and playing a role in burning fat. The list goes on! So go ahead and dig in! Because after all it is tasty too.
- 5 cups mixed cabbage, shredded
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 organic apple, sliced thin
- 3 Tbsp minced green onion
- 3/4 cup raw mayo (see below)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Shred the cabbage either by hand with a knife or in your food processor. Same with the carrots.
- Slice and core the apple and toss with the lemon juice, after tossing the apples, drain the lemon juice into the wet ingredient bowl.
- In a small bowl combine the wet ingredients and spices. Mix well.
- Toss together all ingredients, making sure cabbage is evenly coated.
- If possible, chill for at least an hour and toss thoroughly again before serving. This will allow all the flavors to mingle and blend. Chill overnight if you have the time (this makes the flavors soak in).
I found this recipe on the Cafe Gratitude blog site.
Ingredients for the mayonnaise:
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2-3 soft dates, pitted (soak dates in warm water for 5 minutes to soften)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cold pressed olive oil ** to be added last
Preparation for mayo:
- Puree all ingredients, except oil, in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- While continuing to blend, add oil in a steady stream, until emulsified.
- Store in a tightly sealed container the fridge for up to 2 weeks.