Refried Beans (unfried-beanless-recipe)
I am a true lover of refried beans but I had to stop eating them several years ago as my body struggled to digest them properly. Not to mention, eating them raw just isn’t going to cut it. Whenever we go out to a Mexican restaurant, I always sit and stare longingly at them on everybody else’s plates …ooooh those were the days. Note to self; drooling on the keyboard is not advisable. :)
So as you might have guessed, having a raw and healthy version of refried beans got me pretty darn excited! I had a large group of taste testers sample this dish, all from different styles of eating; SAD eaters, vegan, vegetarian, foodies, and so on. And every single person loved them, including me! I hope you give this recipe a try and please let me know what you think. Many blessings, amie sue
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked 4+ hours
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked
- 1 cup water, soak water, see #2 below
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Sunflower seeds – soak in 4 cups of water for 4+ hours. Rinse and drain.
- Sun-dried tomatoes – soak in 2 cups water for 30+ minutes. Drain and keep the soak water to add in later.
- After soaking the sunflower seeds and sun-dried tomatoes, drain them and place in the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade. Process till they start to break down.
- Add water, olive oil, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and salt. Process until it is almost smooth but with a little texture, much like refried beans.
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.