Well, last night I made some more Cauliflower “Popcorn”. My first attempt was during culinary school in the late evening. I made the mistake of separating the cauliflower florets into very small pieces. They dehydrated into pieces that were about 1/2 the size of my pinkie nail. It didn’t affect the amazing flavor but sadly they didn’t last long. :)
So last night I used 2 heads of cauliflower but left them in larger sections. Come this morning they still had shrunk to very small pieces. What had been two heads only filled a quart jar about 3/4 of the way. Tonight Bob and I (well mostly Bob) polished off that jar. Now we are sitting here on the edge of our seats….”Hmmm, do you suppose once all that cauliflower hits our tummies it will rehydrate and expand back to the original size?? haha”
We didn’t have the Red Star brand nutritional yeast and that alone made all the difference in flavor. The brand we used didn’t yield much flavor to the taste buds. We essentially both consumed 1 head of cauliflower each for a snack. Shew! :) So here is the very basic recipe:
- 2 heads of cauliflower (sectioned into small florets)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- Nutritional Yeast
- Place the florets in a large bowl and sprinkle on the salt and toss lightly with your hands.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the top and again toss with hands.
- Now sprinkle a heavy dose of Red Star (I recommend this brand) over the top, toss with hands….add another layer of yeast, toss with hand. Do this about 4x. You will use more yeast than you would expect.
- Now layer it out on the mesh dehydrator screens and dehydrate at 105 degrees for approx. 12 – 16 hrs.
- Nutritional Yeast is a terrific food, providing nutrition, enhancing flavor, and adding taste to your favorite meals and drinks.
- An excellent source of protein (52%), containing essential amino acids. Gluten Free.
- Rich in vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. An excellent source of folic acid, which is important for formation, growth, and reproduction of red blood cells.
- Commonly known as T6635+ Vegetarian Support Formula™. This yeast is easy to use and blends well with liquids. It can be used in almost any recipe and in small amounts will enhance the flavor.
- Grown specifically for its nutritional value. Naturally low in fat and salt.
- Suggested Serving Size: 2 heaping Tablespoons.