Well lick my lips and pat my belly… this was mmm mmm good! I was quite pleased with myself after my husband polished off the last bowl for his dinner. He had it two days in a row. This soup is a little on the sweet side with the use of miso and using the Balsamic Caramelized Onions
. And this soup is best served warmed.
You can do this 3 ways; the first way (and the way I did it) was I poured the soup into a 9×13 glass baking dish and slide it into the dehydrator. I set the temp at 145 degrees and set the timer for 1 hour. The reason I poured it into such a large baking dish, was to have more of the surface exposed, which meant it would warm up quicker and evenly.
The second way is to do this on the stove top. If you are wanting to keep the soup raw, I recommend using a thermometer with this method. Temperatures can get out of control quickly. Warm to 115 degrees.
The third way is to place the soup in an airtight cooking pan and place on the engine of your car and drive around the block a few times. lol Ok, ok, I don’t recommend this really, but my dad and I use to do this technique of cooking when I would go trucking on the road with him. We would make up meat and cheese sandwiches, wrap them in foil and snug them down around the engine. By the time we hit our next stop our sandwiches would be all nice and warm. haha
I also noticed that this soup seemed to thicken a bit as it chilled out in the fridge overnight. It made it nice and creamy, which was delightful. If you want to make this soup nice and hardy, you can later add some cooked or sprouted quinoa or even some cooked brown rice.
Ingredients: yields 5 cups
- In blender combine the milk, lemon juice, miso, Tamari, thyme, cracked black pepper and 1 cup of caramelized onions. Blend for about 30 seconds on high.
- Turn the speed down and drizzle in the olive oil while it is running.
- Add 1 cup of chopped caramelized onions and pulse about 3-4 times.
- Pour into a serving bowl.
- To warm, place the soup in a wide-mouthed bowl, the more soup surface there is, the quicker it will get warm. Place in the dehydrator set at 145 degrees for 30-60 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!