Apple Butter Spread is a great staple to have in the fridge. It is wonderful on breads, crackers, in smoothies and even in porridge recipes. Not to mention just eating it just by the spoonful when the munchies set in. The ground chia really helps this spread to set up. I used Pink Lady apples which really lends a scrumptous sweet taste. So when you make this recipe just keep in mind that the type of apple that you use will effect the flavor. You also may need to adjust the sweeteners that you use.
- 3 apples, cored, peeled, rough chopped
- 1 tsp fresh lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground clove
- pinch sea salt
- 5 tsp chia seed, ground to a powder in small grinder
- 2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
- 2 Tbsp date paste
- Process all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. The butter will thicken as it sits due to the chia.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
- Trim the top and bottom of an apple and hollow it out with a spoon or melon baller. (McIntoshes are easy to scoop.) Brush the inside with lemon juice, and fill with almond butter or apple butter. Serve with sliced apples for dipping.