Chocolate Coconut Mint Brownies (raw, vegan, GF)
Add to favorites
I served these yummy Chocolate Coconut Mint Brownies this evening to some friends of ours. There were a lot of moans and “heavenly eye rolls” as they were quickly devoured. This is an always a good sign. They may seem like a lot of work to make but I promise you that it goes fairly easy and quickly once you get started. You can always omit a layer or add your own ideas to this recipe. I created this dessert based on what I had on hand for ingredients. These brownies are devilishly good, so good that you would never guess that they are full of healthy ingredients!
Ingredients: 9×9 pan
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup raw walnuts, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Vanilla Bean Filling:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked for min. of 2 hours)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
- 3/4 cup raw cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup lucuma powder **
- 2 Tbsp lecithin, ground to a powder
Chocolate Coconut Mint Frosting: yields 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cup raw dark agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 2/3 cup raw cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp plus a pinch salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper mint extract
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened (save to dust the top of the brownies)
- ½ cup raw cacao butter, melted
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp mesquite powder
- 1 tsp raw agave nectar
1. In a food processor, grind the almonds and walnuts to a meal, being careful not to over process or the nuts will become oily.
2. Add the dates one at a time and pulse until the mixture is combined and crumbly.
3. Add the cacao powder, vanilla extract and sea salt and pulse to combine. The mixture should stick together when pressed between two fingers.
4. Press the brownie mixture into the bottom of a square 8×8 Spring form pan or any pan that you may have! Set aside as you make your frosting.
Vanilla bean filling layer:
- In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, almond milk, agave, and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend again until completely creamy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill in the fridge until firm enough to spread.
- **Soaking your cashews will help them to blend nice and creamy, you can skip this step IF you have a high-speed blender, if you don’t, then by all means soak them first. You will be much happier in the end. Nobody likes grainy frosting!
- **Lucuma Powder has a delicious full-bodied maple like flavor and is an excellent source of carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and minerals—including remarkable concentrations of beta-carotene, niacin and iron.
- Pour vanilla filling over the brownie mixture, spreading it out evenly.
- Set in freezer while you make the chocolate frosting.
Chocolate Coconut Mint Frosting:
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula.
- Take the brownies out of the freezer. Make sure they have been in long enough for the vanilla filling to have hardened. This will give you a firm base to spread the chocolate frosting on. Spread the chocolate frosting over the vanilla filling. Now sprinkle the top with shredded coconut if you desire.
- Whisk the powders and agave into the cacao butter until thoroughly combined.
- Cover your creation with the chocolate liquid.
- Place in the freezer for 5 minutes to form a hard shell.
- This chocolate hardens.