Last night’s creation, Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie Bars, was inspired by our dear friends Victor and Sandy. They prepared an amazing dinner for us and we brought the dessert. With a chocolate creation already rolling around in my head, Sandy emailed me and asked if I could make something chocolaty! How perfectly did that work out?! :) To me it is always a good sign when silence falls upon the room when the first bite is taken. I watched Victor’s face to see if I could get a read on him as to if he liked it or not…his complete silence, his innocent concentration on his plate, and the witnessing of him scrapping up every last morsel and smudge of frosting off the plate, spoke volumes. No crumb was left behind. I will take that as a compliment.
The bottom layer is a rich, decadent chocolate, the middle layer is a scrumptious peanut butter layer and to top them both off, I dressed the brownie with a sinful chocolate frosting!
Ingredients for Chocolate Brownie Layer:
Yield: I used a 6×8 pan but you can change the size by adjusting the layer thicknesses.
- 3 cups raw walnuts, soaked & dehydrated
- 16 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp water
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Place the walnuts and salt in a food processor fitted with the S-blade process until finely ground.
- Add the cocoa powder and process until the until the powder is incorporated. Then start adding in the dates.
- Add the water and vanilla and process mixture until it begins to stick together. It will create a ball that rolls around in the food processor but be real gentle at this point, if you over process it the walnuts will release to much oil.
- Line a 6-inch cake pan with a parchment-paper. This will make it easier to remove.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly.
- Press down with your hand to compact.
- Place in freezer while you make the peanut butter layer.
Ingredients for Peanut Butter Layer:
- 2 cups rolled, gluten-free oats, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup oat flour (see below)
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup raw agave nectar
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup raw cold pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp sea salt
- To make your oat flour, place the raw oats in the food processor and process until it becomes a fine powder.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the coconut oil and blend until well incorporated.
- As the food processor is running, drizzle in the melted coconut oil. You may need to stop a few times and scrap the sides and spread the dough around evenly.
- Remove the chocolate layer from the freezer. Add 1 1/2 cups of this peanut better batter on top and press firmly with your hand. You can make peanut butter cookies with the left over batter.
- Place back in the freezer while you make the frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Ingredients:
Yield: 1 cup
- 3/4 cup raw agave syrup or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1/8 tsp plus a pinch salt
- Place all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the blender jar with a rubber spatula.
- Take the brownie batter from the freezer and pour on the frosting. Spread evenly, cover and chill until ready to serve.