These bars are a mouthful of complex flavors. Is that date I taste? Lemon, wait no, apricot? Whenever I make raw treats I take them down to the coffee shop and have everyone test them to see how the crowd responds. These got all thumbs up and comments such as, “These are the money!” They remind me of Fall time with the warm tasting apricot. Please let me know if you try making them!
Ingredients: (double the ingredient quantities if you want to make both a top and bottom layer)
- 1 cup of raw almonds, soaked
- 1 1/2 cup Majool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup of shredded coconut, unsweetened
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 cup Turkish apricots (diced)
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, organic
- Place the almonds in the food processor and blend to a meal consistency. Don’t over process, creating a butter.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend well. Be careful to not over process though. This will cause the oil in the almonds to come out too much.
- I usually make a double batch. One batch for the top layer and a second batch for the lower layer. Don’t try making both batches at the same time, it’s to much for your food processor.
- Firmly press the bottom layer in a rectangle spring form pans or use a rectangle shaped cambro. Set aside as you prepare the jam.
- Combine both ingredients in your food processor and blend well.
- This makes a wonderful jam for crackers and breads as well.
- Spread jam mixture on top of the bottom layer of the bars. Then place the remaining batter on top of the jam.
- Press firmly, cover and place in fridge to chill.
- I like to slice the bars and wrap each one in cling wrap for the ease of “grab-in-go”.