Today….was a historical day. For the first time in 4 years I was able to enjoy an actual bowl of cereal. Remember the kind that came in a box and you poured it in a bowl with milk? But before that even happened your hand would disappear into the box of cereal as you dug anxiously looking for a surprise toy inside? Well today I made a RAW cereal to where when I brought the spoon to my lips it was filled with a little bit of cereal, dried apple, Craisins, bananas and a little bit of milk!!! It was heaven, I had almost forgotten what that “combination” in one spoonful tasted and felt like. It was simply incredible.
I use to spend Saturday mornings as a child in front of the TV watching cartoons. I was so enthralled with Fred Flinstone (thank goodness my time was long before Square Bob Sponge Pants) that I aimlessly shoveled spoonful after spoonful of cereal into my mouth. This morning was a different story. I ate my cereal with awareness and such joy! As I savored each bite I totally forgot that it was packed full of wonderful nutrients or that it was even RAW! I found the base of this recipe on-line a long time ago but unfortunately I can’t recall where it came from. I made my own modifications and additions to it to accommodate my taste buds. I encourage you to try this recipe as it will really satisfy your cravings for a cereal.
Ingredients: yields 8 cups when done
- 6 bananas, ripe
- 4 cups strawberries, greens removed and rough chopped
- 1 cup oats, soaked in 2 cups of water for min. of 30 minutes
- 1 cup oat flour**
- 1/2 cup hemp protein powder or your favorite protein powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp maca powder
- 3 apples (see below for instructions)
- 1 cup Craisins or raisins (save for end)
- Take the 3 apples and core them. I left the skins on my apples. Rough chop them and place them in the food processor and pulse till they are small bits. Don’t over process to where you start making them juicy. Place pulsed apples on the teflex sheet that came with your dehydrator and dry until crunchy. I did this in the same time frame as the cereal.
- In the food processor make the oat flour first. In a food processor fitted with an “S” blade, blend your oats to a fine powder.
- Add the remaining ingredients (except for the raisins) and puree all ingredients until smooth.
- Spread 1 cup (yields 7 cups of batter) of batter out on the non-stick dehydrator tray liner and dehydrate at about 105 degrees for about 4 hours or until you can peel it off the teflex sheet.
- Peel from the teflex sheet and flip onto the mesh sheets that comes with your dehydrator and continue drying for several hours or overnight, basically until crunchy. Break apart into cereal flake sizes, mix in the Craisins and dried apples.
- Store cereal in an air tight glass container.
- Make sure that you use ripe bananas. Not only are they easier on your digestive system they will have much more flavor.
- Use only organic apples! These rank high on the “dirtiest dozen”.
Saturday morning breakfast in bed!