Sesame Sunflour Nori Crackers
Add to favorites
Nori’s reputation as a natural health food is firmly established in Japan were approximately 10 billion sheets are produced and consumed annually. The amount of nutrition contained in nori is the highest among seaweeds, and it contains as much protein as soybeans. Nori also has 12 kinds of vitamins including A and B vitamins and is known as “The Reservoir of Vitamins” because few other foods contain as many in vitamins as nori.
- Vitamin A ~ You can consume enough vitamin A per day with just two sheets of nori.
- Vitamin B ~ Two sheets of nori also contain Vitamin B1 and B2 in amounts equivalent to 50~60 grams of pork, a sufficient daily amount.
- Vitamin C ~ Nori has twice the vitamin C as the same amount of tangerines.
- Iron ~ Two sheets of nori contain an amount of iron equal to 600 cc of milk or one egg.
Ingredients: yields 12 crackers
- 2 cups sunflour
- 1 cup flax flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 2 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4- 1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)
- 4 sheets raw nori seaweed sheets
- In the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, place the sunflour, flax flour, sesame seeds, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder in the bowl and pulse together.
- Add the water and process until a thick batter forms.
- Divid the batter into two equal halves. Lay out 2 nori sheets on the counter and place half of the batter on one sheet and the remaining batter on the second sheet. Press the batter out towards the corners with your fingers. Cover both with another sheet of nori and with a rolling pin, firmly and evenly roll the batter out towards the edges of the nori sheets.
- Place on the mesh sheet that comes with the dehydrator and dry at 145 degrees for 1 hour. Remove and cut into desired shapes and sizes. Return to the dehydrator and continue drying at 115 degrees for 20 -/+ hours. This will depend on the thickness of your cracker.
- Once cooled to room temperature, place in an air tight container and store on the counter for 5-7 days.
Sous Chef Substitutions:
- Italian seasoning ~ Make your own with 6 tsp dried oregano + 3 tsp dried basil + 3 tsp dried thyme
- Dried onion flakes ~ Use 1-2 tsp onion powder or 1/2 cup fresh minced onion
- Sesame seeds ~ black sesame seeds are stronger in flavor. White unhulled sesame seeds are mild in flavor and slightly more bitter