Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream was one of my all time favorite ice creams growing up. I dished some up for my husband this afternoon and his response was, “I think this is my new favorite!” I have to laugh because he says that to every different raw ice cream I make. I am not complaining by any means, as long he keeps loving them, I know that I am on the right track!
Ingredients for the ice cream base:
- 2 cups almond milk
, click here on recipe
- 2 cups of fresh, young Thai coconut meat
- 1/3 cup raw agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp raw yacon syrup
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean pod (using only the seeds scrapped from the inside of the bean)
- 2 Tbsp raw cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 – 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, de-stemed
- Put all vanilla ice cream ingredients in the blender ( except chocolate chips ) and blend for 3 minutes.
- Blend until nice and creamy. If you want more of a green color you can add a dash of spiralina at a time till you reach the desired color. Just be careful to not add to much because you don’t want to alter the flavor.
- If you have an ice cream maker, after mixture is blended, chill for about 1 hour in the freezer and then pour into your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, pour into a Tupperware container and place in the freezer. Be sure to stir it a few times an hour until frozen.
- Just before your ice cream is about to freeze, add in the chocolate chips.
- If you don’t have access to fresh young Thia coconuts, you can use 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews that have been soaked for at least 2 hours in its place.
- Yacon syrup is a unique ingredient to use… it is an organic sweetener that tastes somewhat like molasses as well as a friendly dietary addition for diabetics and those looking to cut calories. I recommend that you add this to your pantry but if you don’t have any and are dieing to make this recipe you can use extra honey or agave.
Equipment Needed: (my personal recommendations)