Ginger Coconut Quinoa and Mango Pudding “Jarfait”
Add to favorites
I have really come to enjoy quinoa, it can be used both in sweet or savory dishes. I love the texture, it works great as a base to so many dishes and best of all, it is a complete protein. Do you ever eat something and forget that it is healthy for you? This recipe is one of those times. Mangos have high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C, stir that in with some ginger which helps to combat inflammation and you have an amazing treat right before your very eyes! But all of those healthy statistics will fade as you take a bite of this pudding. The creaminess of the coconut quinoa, the sweet blend of mango and the warmth of ginger will soon fill your belly. You could eat the two components separately, or as shown here as parfait.
Ginger Coconut Quinoa: yields 4 cups
- 4 cups prepared quinoa, cooked or sprouted
- 1 1/2 cups raw coconut milk or canned (BPA free)
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
Mango Pudding: yields 2 cups
- 2 large sweet mangoes, ripe
- Cook or Sprout quinoa:
- Cook ~ Rinse quinoa till water runs clear. Combine 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat and let stand covered 5 minutes.
- Sprout ~ to make approx. 4 cups finished product, put 2 1/2 cups of quinoa in a large bowl or jar. Add 2-3 times as much cool (60-70 degree) water. Mix quinoa well to assure even water contact throughout. Soak for 20-30 minutes. Then drain off the soak water, rinse well and drain. Place a mesh lid on the jar and set anywhere out of direct sunlight and at room temperature (70° is optimal). Rinse and Drain again every 8-12 hours until tails are formed. Now it is ready to use.
- After cooking or sprouting the quinoa, combine the quinoa with coconut milk, agave, cinnamon, and ginger in a medium-sized bowl.
- To make the mango pudding, peel the mango with a potato peeler, cut the mango flesh off of the seed and discard the seed.
- Blend the mango in the blender until creamy.
- Alternate the quinoa and mango in a mason jar or dessert dish of your liking.
- Eat right away or chill in the fridge. This should keep for about 5 days in the fridge.