This is a versatile, tangy, white cheese. Ideal for shredding, melting and of course snacking. I recommend that you use a high-speed blender for this. Also, doubling the recipe would make it a lot easier on your blender due to the small amount of volume. Check out the nutritional comparison further down. You will be amazed. This recipe came from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak.
Ingredients: yields 2 1/2 cup brick
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 Tbsp agar flakes or 1 1/2 Tbsp agar powder
- 1/2 cup chopped raw cashews, soaked for at least 2 hours
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground dill weed
- Set aside a 3 Cup plastic storage container.
- In a blender add the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tahini, salt, mustard, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Bring water to boil. Slowly add the agar stirring with whisk. Reduce the heat and simmer, whisking often, for 5 to 10 minutes, or until completely dissolved.
- Slowly pour a little into blender and pulse. Working quickly. Scrape sides. Put cover on blender and remove cover center – slowly pour the rest of hot agar mixture into center of blender. Process several minutes until completely smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender jar as necessary.
- Pour into container and cool uncovered in the refrigerator.
- When completely cool, cover and chill several hours. To serve, turn out of the container and slice.
- Store covered in refrigerator. Will keep 5 to 7 days.
- To make the “swiss holes” I simply used a drinking straw and poked it in at different angles.
Nutritional Value for this recipe: 2 Tbsp
- Calories: 30
- Fat: 1 gm
- Carbs: 2 gm
- Protein: 1 gm
Dairy Cheese 1 oz =
- Dairy Cheese Calories: 107
- Fat: 7.8 gm
Uncheese 1 oz =
When is the last time you could SHRED a raw cheese?
Here is a snack tray that I put together for my sweetheart….mid-afternoon snack at work.